Thursday, November 04, 2004

thanks, jack

I think - hope - that talk of the US engaging in another merry jaunt overseas to interfere in another country's business (Ok, a bit glib) is overstated. As far as I can see, Bush is going to have his hands - and troops - tied up in Iraq for the next few years, and it's hard to see how he could divert enough of his military to Iran, North Korea or Syria without repeating the catastrophic mistakes in Afghanistan, where he left the business of catching Osama Bin Ladan to others, outsourcing the operation to Anti-Taliban warlords who, frankly, were in it for the money - so that he could send troops into Iraq. The devastating consequences of his actions should tie his hands for a while, one hopes (not that one wishes to see Iraq descend further into chaos).

Nevertheless, it's gratifying to hear Jack Straw say, as he did this morning, that he is able to rule out any prospect of Britain backing American military action against Iran. He said,

"Not only is that inconceivable, but I think the prospect of it happening is inconceivable. ... I don't see any circumstances in which military action would be justified against Iran."

No offence, Jack, but I'm writing that down, so just so we've got it on record.

Elsewhere, I note that Yasser Arafat has slipped into a coma. Yasser, I felt that way too when the results came in...

No comments: