Tuesday, March 29, 2005

the long wait

I was in the library at lunchtime, prolonging the inevitable return to work, and I overheard the following exchange, between a youngish dad and his son, who can't have been more than three years old. The father had just picked up a DVD from the rack.

Dad (wistfully): This will be a fantastic film for when you're a bit older.
Son (wrapped round Dad's legs): What is it?

I crane my head and see that the father is holding 'Blade Runner: The Director's Cut'.

Dad (even more wistfully. No, reverentially): It's set in the future...

I walked back to work.

2 comments:

Stephen Newton said...

You should place these overheard conversations on a blog of their own. I can see a book in that one...

Jonathan said...

Ah yes, but then I'd have to start actively listening out for conversations to report, and doubtless I'd hear nothing from that moment on...

Might give it some thought, though :-)