Saturday, September 04, 2004

affiliate network

Tim's Rambler Blog has an interesting post about the iTunes Affiliate Program, and it's encouraging of a kind of legal MP3 blog network.

"This looks in part like a bid to encourage legit MP3 blogs. Link to an iTunes song, write a bit about it - ask your readers to pay 79 pence/99 cents - make a bit of money. Hmm. That seems to run far too contrary to the MP3 blog ethos in every way possible to really work."

Tim's post, like the recent posts on iTunes by Andrew, make me wonder why I've not yet gone and explored the iTunes website. I must do so. Especially as they seem to differ on what is available. Andrew criticises its rivals for lacking product, and yet Tim says:

In my and milady's experience, it's sort of useful for catching up on back catalogue items - like HMV Christmas sales are - but nine times out of ten what you actually want isn't listed, and you end up leaving, or spending your money on something way down your wanted list (again, like HMV Christmas sales)"

That said, that's exactly what I want online music stores to offer. I can find out about new music elsewhere; it's tracking down those old PiL or New Order albums I've never bought that I'd do online (exactly, as Tim says, as I would in an HMV sale). All the same, none of this actually inspires me to go and investigate further. Perhaps I should. Tim, Andrew, which of you is right?

No comments: