Thursday, October 27, 2005

inconsistent monkeys

it's compare and contrast time at Assistant Blog:

Quote one:

"[Our new single is] a bit shit. The words are rubbish. I scraped the bottom of the barrel. It could be a big song, like. But I'd hate to be just known for that song because it's a bit crap."

Quote two:

"Most bands these days probably just write lyrics because they sound good without thinking."

Both quotes are by Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys. Which to believe? Alex also says "But I don't want to be a band like Kaiser Chiefs. I think if we're next year's Kaiser Chiefs we'll quit."

We certainly don't need two Kaiser Chiefs. But is it really better to be this year's Libertines than next year's 'Chiefs? I'm not so sure.

I have to say though, that the Arctic Monkeys single has kinda stuck in my head. Most of their songs are poor, but there are a couple which have grown on me. If I ever finish editing my new podcast, you'll hear one, 'Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts', which I think is pretty good. Now who said I couldn't be a fair and equitable critic?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Most of their songs are poor' ha ha. Well unlucky mate cos ur gonna have to put up with a whole lot of Arctic Monkeys for quite some time! Give the guys a break the hype and excitement they have created is what British Music has been deperately crying out for some time now......