Saturday, March 24, 2007

pricks on the radio

Listening to debates on talk radio about whether or not we should apologise for slavery always makes for brilliant entertainment - it brings the idiots out. I don't actually think it's enormously important whether we do apologise or not, but it's always interesting when people get tremendously worked up about the idea that we certainly must not. There's some fuckwit on BBC 5 Live at the moment putting forward the indignant "it ain't nuffink to do with me, mate" line. He's arguing with a Nigerian woman who is angry that the average Brit is so invested in denying that, as she puts it, 'this country is built on the blood of Africans'. At one point she asks him, "do you know what it's like to be a slave?".

He puts on his best dismissive voice.

"Not particularly, nah", he replies.

Well, not at all, really, thinking about it.

UPDATE: A woman has just pointed out "It was a terrible thing but it was in the past, it's finished, why should we apologise? I mean, should we demand an apology from every ancestor of a cannibal who...".

The presenter cuts the call silent. I think I must be listening to a spoof radio show.

1 comment:

Clive Andrews said...

I'm undecided on the whole 'slavery apology' issue. I can really see both sides of it. What's probably most relevant is the fact that we seem to spend more energy debating the idea of apologising for the past than we do discussing actual steps we can take to make the world a better place in the present and the future.

But I agree that the radio is a great place to hear stupid people in action. I heard some of the Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 show today. A bunch of ranting ill-informed idiots all calling up to speak to the most ill-informed idiot of all.

Daily Mail Radio...