Wednesday, April 29, 2009

currently listening

I'm absolutely loving this year for record releases so far. Some brilliant albums. And I've been playing them at the expense of pretty much everything in my record collection, so this week's 'Currently Listening' is kind of a round up of this year's best records so far.

1. The Wave Pictures - If You Leave It Alone LP
2. Emmy The Great - First Love
3. The Horrors - Primary Colours
4. Blue Roses - Blue Roses LP
5. Bat For Lashes - Two Suns LP
6. Graham Coxon - The Spinning Top LP
7. Julie Doiron - I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day LP
8. It Hugs Back - Inside Your Guitar LP
9. Hatcham Social - You Dig The Tunnel, I'll Hide The Soil LP
10. Darren Hayman - Pram Town LP

3 comments:

Laura said...

Is the graham coxon one any good?? It's not out til may is it?

Jonathan said...

It's very good yes, although I think the way its been described is a bit misleading. Everyone seems to be going on about Bert Jansch and John Martyn but a lot of it is quite breezy, Nick Drakey indie pop - with some very Blurry arrangements. It's great.

Ben said...

Thought Coxon was terrible supporting My Bloody Valentine last year. Not sure I can be bothered with this, either - prefer his louder, spikier stuff.

Saw It Hugs Back last night supporting Holy Fuck in Oxford - odd sort of line-up, but thoroughly enjoyed them. Got the album on as I type - VERY Yo La Tengo! So cheers for championing them - quite possibly would have stayed in the pub for longer and missed them if it hadn't been for your blogged enthusiasm for them.

Is the Horrors album actually good, then? Saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years ago - liked the concept but didn't think much to the execution.