Thursday, December 20, 2007

xmas thoughts

I find it odd to think that I'm spending Christmas in Brighton rather than with my family - this time of year is all about ritual and expectations met. Not doing the traditional family thing provokes a mixture of emotions - excitement, concern, regret and relief. Most of all there's the confusion over to what extent one should attempt to recreate the normal Christmas experience. Instinctively I want all the usual trimmings, even those that I don't much savour. But perhaps now is the time to establish a new set of festive rituals, and banish sprouts, and other things, forever.

What I do know is that while I will miss my family, I'm inordinately excited at the prospect of spending the Christmas holiday with my friends!

1 comment:

Kat said...

I have not once in my life spent Christmas Eve without my parents, even the year I spent abroad I came back home for X-mas. I feel almost abnormal, because I like it that way, whereas most other people I know say that they hate X-mas, they are never gonna spend it with their parents again, etc. etc. But I love my little illusion of magical Christmas (because it is after all), and at my parents' it's always nice and quiet and we never quarrel, burn the X-mas tree or get hysterical breakdowns .. ;)