Friday, April 30, 2004

iTunes on shuffle

Unfortunately, unlike Gutterbreaks, I’ve not got an iPod, but I was much taken by his idea of putting his iPod on shuffle and seeing what it came up with. He talks of thinking increasingly of his record collection ‘in a more modular way, rather than as a series of discreet blocks', and, actually, since I started using iTunes I’ve started to think in a similar way. Because I’ve not got much space on my hard drive lots of the albums I originally ripped have had inferior songs snipped out over the last couple of months, as I prune the selection to free up space for new music. It’s actually a totally different approach to storing music, akin to collating the biggest compilation in the world, perhaps, as opposed to the most extensive collection, which was, I suppose, my former (and totally unrealistic) approach. Now, I dunno if I could apply this method to storing my music collection if I didn’t have the security of having all my Blur and XTC albums lined up on shelves next door, but it’s an interesting idea. Anyway, leaving my iTunes on shuffle this morning produced the following collection…


1. Tony Allen feat. Damon Albarn and Ty – Every Season
2. Tom Tom Club – Wordy Rappinghood
3. Braintax - Acapello
4. Wu Tang Clan – As High as Wu Tang Gets
5. Brian Eno – Golden Hours
6. Dave Clarke – Way of Life
7. Joy Division – These Days
8. Fischerspooner – Emerge (DFA remix)
9. Bedsit Bomber – Newbuild 2
10. Girlinky – Newspaper Round
11. T. Raumshmiere – The Game is Not Over
12. Scissor Sisters – Take Your Mama Out
13. British Sea Power - Apologies to Insect Life
14. Damon Albarn – American Welfare Poem
15. Einsturzende Neubauten - Sensucht
16. Wiley – Happens for A Reason
17. Luke Vibert - Slowfast
18. Andre 3000 – God (Interlude)
19. Lou Harrison - Piano Concerto (II. Stampede)
20. Andre 3000 – The Love Below (Intro)
21. John Cage - Quodlibet
22. The Fiery Furnaces - Winter
23. Pharrel feat. Jay-Z – Frontin’
24. Over Sea Under Stone – My Prayer
25. The Raincoats – Adventures Close To Home
26. Meredith Monk - Panis et Ciceres
27. Miss Kittin – Berlin is Burning (vocal outro)
28. Kraftwerk – Electro Cardiogramm
29. Blur – Don’t Bomb When You’re the Bomb
30. SL2 – On a Ragga Tip