Thursday, May 27, 2004

it says nothing to me about my life...

A great article here, which I turned up on some spurious web crawl; an utterly bizarre and peculiar examination of whether or not The Smiths were a conservative rock band. This author, who is clearly a bit mad, thinks they're not. I could quote from it pretty much at random.
"They confound whoever wishes to analyze them but the one thing they do not appear to be is conservative. When Morrissey sang "I'd like to drop my trousers to the queen…the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy on her terms" we do not think of laissez faire economics"

True enough. Granted our man gets a bit bogged down in discussing Moz's sexuality and gets a bit out of his depth, but he's never less than entertaining. At one point he cries

"This worthless era of hip-hop and rap is infinitely depressing"

Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ, Hang the... oh, sorry, got distracted.

Infinitely depressing? Oh, you Smiths fans! I thought that's what you LIKED!

No comments: