Monday, December 18, 2006

December lists, 2006

Okay, here's this year's entry in the "I'm hipper than thou" awards...

Assistant Blog Top Ten Albums of The Year
1. K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
2. Cat Power - The Greatest
3. The Lemonheads - The Lemonheads
4. Ghostface - Fishscale
5. The Young Knives - Voices of Animals and Men
6. Hot Chip - The Warning
7. Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
8. Lily Allen - Alright, Still
9. Graham Coxon - Love Travels At Illegal Speeds
10. The Hot Puppies - Under The Crooked Moon

Feel free to leave comments / abuse below....

Awesome Stuff Which Didn't Make It
1. CSS - Cansie De Ser Sexy
2. The Futureheads - News and Tributes
3. The Rapture - Pieces of The People We Love
4. Tony Allen - Lagos No Shaking
5. Brakes - Beatific Visions
6. The Long Blondes - Someone To Drive You Home
7. Joanna Newsom - Vs
8. Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block
9. Bonnie Prince Billy - The Letting Go
10. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Decent Stuff Worth A Mention
1. TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
2. Tapes 'N Tapes - S/T
3. Thom Yorke - The Erasor
4. Tiga - Sexor
5. Victorian English Gentleman's Club - S/T

Stuff I Didn't Take To At All:
1. The Walkmen - A Hundred Miles Off
2. Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops
3. The Gossip - Standing In The Way Of Control
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Shake Your Bones
5. Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
6. The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
7. The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
8. The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics

Best band in the world this year: bit of a cheat, seeing as they broke up, but a final endorsement for the peerless Sleater Kinney.
And worst band of the year: no question this time round: Kasabian.

Lots more lists of the year, here...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The usual Jonathan mix of semi-populist pop(for the youth), the token Hip-Hop album(cos he's street at heart)and the nod to the past (Lemonheads).

Yes, you are hip. To an extent. Your top ten does resemble - surprise surprise the Guardian's Top 10 of the year. That said, you remembered K'naan who has been largely overlooked this year I feel. Though I'm not sure how strong his album is all the way through.

Do Complilations count in this chart? I would add the 'Strange Folk' one if so. Plus Lambchop's best album for ages - 'Damaged' to my Top 20 at least.

Where was Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins?

For what its worth, Dan's Top 10

1. Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
2. Bonnie Prince Billy - The Letting Go
3. Mogwai - Zidane
4. Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
5. K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
6. Cat Power - The Greatest
7. Beirut - The Gulag Orkestar
8. Ali Farka Toure - Sawane
9. Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5.55
10. Sufjan Stevens - Avalanche

There.. I am the best. : P

Jonathan said...

Yeah, everything in your list looks like a pretty good pick to me - I've only heard one or two songs from the Beirut album but I get the feeling that it might have slipped into my top ten or twenty if I'd have heard more. Not heard the Mogwai or that Sufjan record, so I'll have to grab copies from you. And give you back your Bonnie Prince Billy LP.

Did you note, incidentally, that both BPB and Midlake are playing the Concorde during the first couple of months of 2007?

Couple more albums that slipped through my fingers when I was compiling my list:
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (see? that's two token rap records now!)
Burial - Burial (super scary dubstep thing)

Both really good, but only just heard the pair of them so might just be the novelty effect...

Jonathan said...

Think you have to rule compilations and reissues out, I'm afraid. Otherwise I'd have put the reissue of P***ment's 'Wowee Zowee' top of my list and bored everyone to death...

Anonymous said...

Yes! Would love to see Midlake live! 12th April 2007, Concorde 2.

Anonymous said...

No list for singles of the year? My vote goes to Young Folks by Peter Bjorn and John. Ah.

Jonathan said...

Be patient, Laura! Singles will follow!

What was your favourite album?