Tuesday, October 31, 2006

currently listening to...

1. Art Brut - Nag Nag Nag Nag (where Art Brut have retained the dominant, droll lyrics but done much to beef up their sound; a brilliant single.)
2. The Good, The Bad and the Queen - 80s Life (almost impossible to pick a song from their forthcoming album which doesn't merit a mention, but this is the song that's stuck in my head this week, particularly the lyric, "I don't want to live with war that's got no end in our time").
3. Field Music - In Context (wherein Field Music, if such a thing is possible, get snappier and poppier and more brilliant. Can't wait for the album).
4. Joe Jackson - Fools In Love ("gently tear each other limb from limb")
5. Jarvis Cocker - Don't Let Him Waste Your Time (Jarvis' best song in ages? Got to be! Romantic, yearning, tuneful, funny - excellent)
6. Graham Coxon - What Ya Gonna Do Now? (a hilarious, brilliant, nutty Clash-like rant: enormous fun)
7. Jarvis Cocker - Black Magic (a bit brit-pop-tastic this list, isn't it? Well, another good track from the new Jarvis record - a kind of aggressive Motown stomp with a big wall of voices, and quite ace too)
8. Subtle - The Mercury Craze (enjoying this a lot, mainly by virtue of it being the most insane hip hop record I've come across for a while - it reminds me of Gold Chains, whose 'Rock The Parti' I absolutely obsessed over a few years back)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you go to the Roundhouse gig? It was amazing and genuinely moving! I agree with you re: '80s Life - it's one of the best things Damon has ever written. The whole album sounds fantastic though and I can't wait 'til January!

Graham's latest is stunning too, in an "indie pop" way (I hate genres hehe), and I'm really looking forward to Jarvis' album - haven't been following him lately I'm afraid. I've only heard "Running The World" so far, which is classic Cocker in my book!

Jonathan said...

Hello Dezz, long time no speak...

Yeah, the Roundhouse show was amazing - one of the best gigs I've seen. I saw them in Exeter the week before and that was pretty incredible too. Wish we didn't have such a long wait 'til the album.

You can find one of those Jarvis tracks here, if you're interested, btw... Am seeing him in Camden quite soon, and looking forward to it!